Today in the post: equal rights for adoption for couples of any sexual identity now in all US states; international chefs fighting a hunger problem in Rio; how to look sexy and attractive in a swimsuit in 60; the most creative and mind-blowing artworks going to Burning Man 2016; food for thought for those who still have doubts our planet is in danger; decline in treatment of pregnant women and new mothers; and a positive video that people are actually good – follow the links for the details!
And just in case you’re new to the tribe, below is a handpicked selection of all the best, most thought provoking and entertaining links, from all over the internet, from last week! You can follow my updates daily on Facebook or check this column every Monday at 11 am New York time! Best Links This Week – all in one place for your convenience.
Enjoy the reads and leave your own recommendations and comments below the post, there’re always welcome!
I wish you all an unforgettable and enjoyable week!
- Same-Sex Couples Can Now Adopt Children In All 50 States – A federal judge ruled Thursday that Mississippi’s ban on same-sex couples adopting children is unconstitutional, making gay adoption legal in all 50 states. (www.huffingtonpost.com)
- Rio 2016: International chefs cooking surplus Olympic food for city’s poorest residents – Know your heroes! “Launched by chefs Massimo Bottura of Italy and Brazil’s David Hertz, RefettoRio Gastromotiva aims to produce some 5,000 meals daily using only those ingredients that would otherwise head for the bin”. (www.independent.co.uk)
- 60-Year-Old Model Puts Sexed-Up Swimsuit Ads To Shame In Stunning Photos – Age is how you feel on the inside! “She makes it perfectly clear a company doesn’t need young models to draw attention, making us wonder why this is still such a rarity in the industry.” (www.huffingtonpost.com)
- The 12 Most Mind-Melting Artworks Headed To Burning Man This Year – Can you feel the dust particles in your eyeballs already? (www.huffingtonpost.com)
- In Defense of Villainesses – “She’s fabulous. Her hair is done. Her makeup is flawless; her coat, luxurious. She’s single. She’s thin or she’s fat or she’s muscular or she’s old or she’s young but she’s never ever cute or soft or scared of you.” (www.tor.com)
- Every Month This Year Has Been the Hottest in Recorded History – Are you alarmed yet? ‘Despite the cruise ship that’s now plowing through a melting Arctic, or the wildfires that have consumed parts of North America, and devastating drought that’s stricken in East Africa, it can still be easy to ignore sometimes that our climate is rapidly changing. But 2016 has been a remarkable year for record-breaking temperatures, and even in the midst of it, July stands out as the hottest month of all.” (motherboard.vice.com)
- After Texas Slashed Its Family Planning Budget, Maternal Deaths Almost Doubled – To quote my doctor friend; “The US is the only first world country in which pregnancy relayed deaths are on the rise; this isn’t just in Texas, it’s actually a national trend. A woman is now better off delivering a baby in China than in the US. This is what happens when religion dictates politics and separation of church and state is ignored. This is insanely egregious!” (www.slate.com)
- A Tradition for New Mothers in China, Now $27,000 a Month – If you think women in America have it good, think again. We are so behind basic human rights here that it makes my blood boil to even think about the treatment mothers still get here. Believe it or not but China might have something to teach us. (mobile.nytimes.com)
- Rob Greenfield Has a Simple Idea… People are Good! – The world seems like a bad place from the sensationalism chance in the media, but people like this guy will prove them wrong every time. Because if you turn off the Matrix, you can have a free and happy life as long as you stay true to yourself.