Happy Monday, everyone!
I’ve got the greatest piece of news for you today – summer has finally arrived and that means it’s time for less clothes and more fun! AND, the winners have been announced in our Giveaway! Is it you? Check out if you are HERE!
In today’s post: unbelievable fact about the world’s newest micro-nation, an impressive decision behind the latest cover of Elle magazine, stunning sustainable bamboo homes built by a woman, a great win for animal rights -watch the video about a puppy factory in Australia; in environmental news: kayakers’ protest against Arctic oil rig and the first fully independent solar city in the USA is about to be built.
Enjoy the summer! And don’t forget to share your interesting findings with us as well.
1. THOUSANDS OF KAYAKERS PROTEST ARCTIC OIL RIG IN SEATTLE – Some people actually doing something about oil rigging. I admire the dedication and passion these people have for this planet. Hat off! (www.tetongravity.com)
2. Breastfeeding model covers a major magazine (and readers love it!) – “This wasn’t a contrived situation: Zion needed a feed, Nicole gave it to him, and when we saw how beautiful they looked we simply moved her onto the set,” Elle’s editor-in-chief Justine Cullen wrote on the magazine’s website. “It was a completely natural moment that resulted in a powerful picture.” Bravo on that decision ELLE! (www.today.com)
3. Liberland, the world’s newest micro-nation, is already a leader in nation branding – “But even if the legal premise of Liberland is shaky, it is looking more and more like a legitimate state, thanks to its well-developed nation-branding.” Is this for real? (qz.com)
4. This Weekend, Get Your iPhones Ready: Manhattanhenge Once Again Falls on NYC – A beautiful photo-op that only happens twice a year took place on May 29th and May 30th – a glorious phenomenon of the sun’s impeccable alignment with Manhattan’s city grid.! (spoilednyc.com)
5. Mysterious fossils reveal new species of early HUMAN: Thick-jawed hominid lived alongside ‘Lucy’ 3.4 million years ago – We still know so little about our history as human species on this planet. (www.dailymail.co.uk)
6. Meet The Woman Building Stunning Sustainable Homes From Bamboo – These buildings are created exclusively from bamboo and are probably among the most unique and beautiful houses I’ve ever seen. I’d love to spend some time in one of these! (www.trueactivist.com)
7. Animals Australia – A nation is judged by how they treat their old and their animals. As a dog owner I am appalled by the sheer existence of puppy mills in our society and urge everyone- if you want a dog, PLEASE adopt and encourage people around you to do the same! Every choice you make, affects the world you live in.
VICTORY! Pyramid Hill puppy factory investigation updateVICTORY! These cages will NEVER hold another scared, abused dog. Animals Australia’s investigation into this horrific puppy factory began two years ago. Based on our evidence, RSPCA Victoria mounted a major investigation of their own, leading to a landmark court case. Yesterday, the owners of Pyramid Hill puppy factory pled guilty to 240 charges of animal cruelty (www.AnimalsAus.org/tPb).Today, the animals won. Help make every day a triumph over animal abuse. Fight cruelty. Save a life. Adopt.
Posted by Animals Australia on Thursday, May 28, 2015
8. Brooklyn to build the first solar city in the US, fully independent from the grid – Solar power is the future and now that we have all the tools, the question is – how fast can we start repairing the damage we have done so far as humans on this planet? (www.minds.com)